Think Cans can help you towards achieving Eco Schools status. At Think Cans, we support the work of Eco Schools in the UK and we want to do our bit to help schools reach their goals.
If you're a Bronze school and you want to go for Silver, here are a few ideas to get you started:
Use Think Cans resources to demonstrate that environmental issues have been covered within curriculum work in most year groups. The resources are free and they are applicable to different ages.
The Science resource enables students to:
- Look at aluminium production from raw materials and recycled waste;
- Compare the two production routes for energy-efficiency and waste production;
- Look at the processes inside the aluminium recycling facility and science-based jobs within the recycling plant.
The Enterprise resource can form the basis for an enterprise activity in which students set up a school-based ‘Cash for Cans' scheme. These activities are really flexible and can delivered as stand-alone or as part of a half-day or full-day enterprise activity. The resource enables students to:
- Look at the process involved in the ‘Cash for Cans' aluminium can recycling scheme;
- Listen to staff who work in the Novelis aluminium recycling plant and
- Consider the steps and structures needed to set up a recycling enterprise in school.
- Develop the process to recruit a team to organise and run a recycling scheme.